Cross Console Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you view baptism?

+2
pmod
r3vo1ution1991
6 posters

Go down

How do you view baptism? Empty How do you view baptism?

Post by r3vo1ution1991 Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:28 pm

What is it used for? Why do you (or do not) do it?
r3vo1ution1991
r3vo1ution1991

Back to top Go down

How do you view baptism? Empty Re: How do you view baptism?

Post by pmod Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:35 am

i am one that believes it is just for our benefit as a ritual.

pmod

Back to top Go down

Post by Vulture Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:14 pm

Wasn't there a podcast about this once?
Vulture
Vulture
Admin

http://www.digoutreach.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by bmore_80 Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:38 pm

pmod wrote:i am one that believes it is just for our benefit as a ritual.

I am along the same thinking, not something that will determine your salvation.
bmore_80
bmore_80
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r3vo1ution1991 Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:05 pm

Vulture wrote:Wasn't there a podcast about this once?  

Ah yes....I believe it was an infamous episode!

And pmod, could you elaborate please (for my sake...I'm kinda dumb Razz)
r3vo1ution1991
r3vo1ution1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Vulture Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:22 am

It isn't a salvation issue, but I do think it is an issue to talk about. Full submersion or sprinkling? Is it a must do or not?

I do think that if a new believer has the opportunity that they should be baptized and I believe a full submersion is the way to do it.

For one, we are commanded to do this: [Mat 28:19 KJV] 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

When Jesus was baptized by John, he was fully "dunked" under the water and raised up. There is meaning and significance to this method. It related to the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord. As we accept the truth of the gospel we die to our old selves. We are then "buried" (being fully submerged) and raised again into a new life. The old man is dunked and the new man is raised up.

Obviously there are circumstances in which someone might not have the chance to be baptized (criminal on the cross, prisoner, etc.) and that is how we know it isn't a salvation issue.
Vulture
Vulture
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r3vo1ution1991 Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:30 am

Vulture wrote:It isn't a salvation issue, but I do think it is an issue to talk about. Full submersion or sprinkling? Is it a must do or not?

I do think that if a new believer has the opportunity that they should be baptized and I believe a full submersion is the way to do it.

For one, we are commanded to do this: [Mat 28 KJV] 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

When Jesus was baptized by John, he was fully "dunked" under the water and raised up. There is meaning and significance to this method. It related to the death, burial and resurrection of our Lord. As we accept the truth of the gospel we die to our old selves. We are then "buried" (being fully submerged) and raised again into a new life. The old man is dunked and the new man is raised up.

Obviously there are circumstances in which someone might not have the chance to be baptized (criminal on the cross, prisoner, etc.) and that is how we know it isn't a salvation issue.

Do you think that if someone isn't baptized, they are a "bad Christian" (for lack of a better term)?
r3vo1ution1991
r3vo1ution1991

Back to top Go down

Post by lupine90 Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:07 pm

I agree with Vulture with significance of baptism and what it means to me. As far as if someone who hasn't been baptized is a "bad Christian", I don't think that is our place to judge in all honesty. I would like to hear their reasons behind it and then try to persuade them to get baptized, but I don't think it is a requirement to be a good Christian. I think a lot of people don't understand the significance of it.

Now, are we strictly talking water baptism here because there is whole other view/can of worms(so to speak) for baptism by the Holy Spirit.
lupine90
lupine90

Back to top Go down

Post by Vulture Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:42 pm

r3vo1ution1991 wrote:......Do you think that if someone isn't baptized, they are a "bad Christian" (for lack of a better term)?

No. I would say that they may be uninformed on the meaning of baptism ?? Now, if said Christian were flat out refusing baptism I would question why.
Vulture
Vulture
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r3vo1ution1991 Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:05 pm

lupine90 wrote:
Now, are we strictly talking water baptism here because there is whole other view/can of worms(so to speak) for baptism by the Holy Spirit.

Yes I am talking strictly water baptism!

As for my opinions on this, I personally don't feel that baptism is necessary for anything. I have never personally been baptized, as to me, it is just a work we do (an outward expression of our inward faith) that can be displayed in other ways.
r3vo1ution1991
r3vo1ution1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Vulture Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:16 pm

r3vo1ution1991 wrote:
lupine90 wrote:

As for my opinions on this, I personally don't feel that baptism is necessary for anything.  I have never personally been baptized, as to me, it is just a work we do (an outward expression of our inward faith) that can be displayed in other ways.

So what is the reason that you do not want to be baptized? Do you feel that you are missing out on something?
Vulture
Vulture
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r3vo1ution1991 Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:31 pm

Vulture wrote:
r3vo1ution1991 wrote:
lupine90 wrote:

As for my opinions on this, I personally don't feel that baptism is necessary for anything.  I have never personally been baptized, as to me, it is just a work we do (an outward expression of our inward faith) that can be displayed in other ways.

So what is the reason that you do not want to be baptized? Do you feel that you are missing out on something?

I do not honestly. I understand that Jesus was baptized, however, I interpret that as Him being baptized because He was identifying with sinners as well as it being a kick-off to His ministry on earth.

I never said I don't want to be baptized, I just have never felt the call nor the desire to be baptized. I can understand why people would want to do it, but it never struck me as something that I should do.
r3vo1ution1991
r3vo1ution1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Vulture Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:54 pm

r3vo1ution1991 wrote:I do not honestly.  I understand that Jesus was baptized, however, I interpret that as Him being baptized because He was identifying with sinners as well as it being a kick-off to His ministry on earth.  

I never said I don't want to be baptized, I just have never felt the call nor the desire to be baptized.  I can understand why people would want to do it, but it never struck me as something that I should do.

Which would mean that you do? If so, why haven't you? Not trying to twist your arm here, just curious. I would assume here, that when you accepted Christ into your life, no one talked to you about baptism?
Vulture
Vulture
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by r3vo1ution1991 Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:11 pm

Vulture wrote:
r3vo1ution1991 wrote:I do not honestly.  I understand that Jesus was baptized, however, I interpret that as Him being baptized because He was identifying with sinners as well as it being a kick-off to His ministry on earth.  

I never said I don't want to be baptized, I just have never felt the call nor the desire to be baptized.  I can understand why people would want to do it, but it never struck me as something that I should do.

Which would mean that you do?  If so, why haven't you?  Not trying to twist your arm here, just curious.  I would assume here, that when you accepted Christ into your life, no one talked to you about baptism?

I guess I mean that more as "I'm not hostile towards baptism" more than anything. And my mom talked to me about it when I was saved, but she was a new Christian at the time as well, and I always felt like it was something I did for other people rather than myself.
r3vo1ution1991
r3vo1ution1991

Back to top Go down

Post by mlujan54 Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:01 pm

I think it is something that is a powerful tool for others to see you doing. When I went to get baptized my pastor and I talked about how there was nothing actually special about being dunked in water, I had already made the decision to accept Christ, but baptism is a way to show everyone of this decision. The water part doesn't save you or anything.

It's easy for a person to say, "I'm a Christian," but it's another thing to be willing to go in front of an entire church and in front of friends, family and complete strangers and tell your story about how Christ saved you then show in the form of baptism. It was also a great way for me to invite my family who are not all believers into church to hear my testimony and hear stuff that I may have never shared with them about my life.

I don't think a Christian is "bad" for not doing it, but I also feel like there is no reason not to. You're saved. You have eternal life in heaven waiting for you. Why wouldn't you want to get up and tell anyone and everyone and make it public?
mlujan54
mlujan54

Back to top Go down

Post by lupine90 Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:41 pm

It is an outward thing. It is a twofold thing. You are declaring to your church, pastor, friends and others just how serious you are taking your new life as a Christian. It represents putting to death your old life and ways. Mlujan54 hit the nail dead straight on the head.
lupine90
lupine90

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum