Cross Console Gamers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Emotional Gaming

+2
SvenExChao
DragonCrown
6 posters

Go down

Emotional Gaming Empty Emotional Gaming

Post by DragonCrown Sun May 25, 2014 4:15 pm

Games have always been escapism for me, as I've used them as a coping mechanism to deal with the various issues I've experienced throughout my life. Now, I'm less than not interested in a psychological assessment of my emotional gaming habit. What I want to know is if any of you experience something similar, in that you play a particular type of game to try to assuage a particular emotion or mental state.

I'll give you one example of my own, then I want to hear from you. When I'm feeling irritated or angry, I throw on one of the various iterations of Dynasty Warriors, and slaughter poorly-trained peons in a bloody storm of steel. I find it to be a good release for my pent-up aggression.

So, what is your emotional gaming story?

DragonCrown

Back to top Go down

Emotional Gaming Empty Re: Emotional Gaming

Post by SvenExChao Sun May 25, 2014 6:06 pm

I think for me it's less "emotional" and more energy level. When I'm tired I'll play a wind down game like Minecraft but if I'm pumped and want to play a bit I'll throw on something like Titanfall. I definitely get what you're saying though, it can definitely be a great release of whatever you're feeling at the moment
SvenExChao
SvenExChao

https://facebook.com/dyingblynd

Back to top Go down

Post by bmore_80 Sun May 25, 2014 8:49 pm

SvenExChao wrote:I think for me it's less "emotional" and more energy level. When I'm tired I'll play a wind down game like Minecraft but if I'm pumped and want to play a bit I'll throw on something like Titanfall. I definitely get what you're saying though, it can definitely be a great release of whatever you're feeling at the moment

Im more along this thinking as well. Sometimes I just want to space out and play something basic, other times I want fast paced fun.
bmore_80
bmore_80
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Chuckleluck Mon May 26, 2014 11:17 am

I don't know if my emotional state really affects my gaming, but what I play is usually "inspired" by some other media. Like if I hear something on the news about international diplomacy, I'll get an urge to play Civilization V. Or if I've seen a zombie movie I'll go play Left 4 Dead 2.

There are some games that I definitely have to be in the "mood" to play, especially highly atmospheric games like Thomas Was Alone or Brothers.

Chuckleluck

Back to top Go down

Post by lupine90 Mon May 26, 2014 1:29 pm

For me, there is a bit of sense emotional escape to the game. I love getting away for a bit. RPGs are my thing with games like Skyrim, Dragon Age, or Mass Effect. It is fun to take control of someone whose destiny is to change the very landscape of the country, world, galaxy etc. When I want to be in control of something, I pop in one of my many RTS games or Civ 5. Or if I want to be apart of a team, I jump into a moba like LoL or Smite or an MMO like Age of Wushu. The games you play depend on your skill level as well as the teammates around you. Age of Wushu has you gathering items to build up bases or make items, fighting people and other guilds.

I do seem to jump around a lot though. Depending on my gaming appetite, I will switch to sports games, rts, fps, etc. It all depends on what I am feeling.
lupine90
lupine90

Back to top Go down

Post by Preacher Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:47 am

For me it's about time management. If I know I only have a little time to game I'll play a game like an arcade title or something g that I can turn off quickly. If I have an hour or more I'll play something I'm more devoted to.
Preacher
Preacher
Admin

https://crossconsolegamers.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum